World Water Day is an annual event celebrated on 22 March 2018. The day focuses attention on the importance of universal access to clean water and the need to advocate for the sustainable management of freshwater resources. In the developed world, it’s easy to dismiss the global crisis of the lack of access to clean, fresh drinking water; and we often take its availability for granted. However; even we can make a difference to the sensible use of this valuable and finite resource.
Water Facts from waterwise.org.uk
- 97% of the Worlds water is salty or otherwise undrinkable, 2% is locked in ice caps leaving just 1% available for all humanity’s needs.
- Producing 1 pint of beer takes approximately 170 litres of water.
- It takes 200,000,000 litres of water, per second, to grow the worlds food.
So what can we all do to help…?
- Only run taps for as long as necessary.
- Manage leaks effectively – if you notice taps/pipes leaking, have them fixed as a priority.
- If available, use the correct flush (some toilet have small & large flush volumes).
- Educate employees – regular comms relating to environmental management should increase peoples’ awareness.
- Consider using rinse-free hand-foam sanitiser instead of running the taps to wash hands after using the toilet facilities.
Our property strategy also dictates that water use is a key consideration when choosing our premises. Grey water harvesting (re-use of collected rainwater, mostly), waterless urinals and other technology can all help VocaLink do its part in the protection of water as a valuable resource.